The Tuner

I've had some questions about how to tune one of my guitars. The actual tunings vary from guitar to guitar based on scale length and string gauges. I try to find the best setup for each guitar. Most of them are tuned to an open "D" chord (DAd), meaning, when all strings are strummed unfretted, a D major chord is produced. This is ideal for slide playing. As long as the slide is kept perpendicular to the neck a good chord will be played. My second favorite tuing is open "A" (AEa.) It lends itself well to slightly shorter scaled necks.

Getting the strings in tune is another story. I personally don't have a very good ear for tuning, so I rely on a mechanical tuner. There are loads of different tuners on the market, but the one I use is perfect for a homemade guitar. The Intellitouch PT2 clamps onto virtually any instrument and picks up the vibrations of each string and show the note being produced. A series of arrows on each side of the note let you know if you are sharp or flat. It is a different system from other tuners out there, so if you are used to a more traditional one, this might take a little getting used to. The PT2 works fine for me, but Intellitouch also makes a higher end model with a back lit screen and a storage case. It can also remember multiple tuning calibrations. Maybe you'll know how to use that, I sure don't.

Because this kind of tuner reads vibration frequencies, it can be used with even wood and brasswinds, not just stringed instruments.

No comments: